Trump Demands Investigation of the Russia Inquiry
- President Trump demanded that the Justice Department open an investigation into whether the department or the F.B.I. “infiltrated or surveilled” his campaign at the behest of the Obama administration.
- In ordering up a new inquiry, Mr. Trump crossed over into applying overt presidential pressure on the Justice Department to do his bidding.
In Speech, Pompeo Piles On Against Iran After Nuclear Deal Withdrawal
- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo used his first major policy address to deliver a hard-line speech at the conservative Heritage Foundation.
- While he did not directly threaten the use of military force, Mr. Pompeo said that if Iran restarts its nuclear program “we will respond.”
Oliver North Blames ‘Culture of Violence’ for Mass Shootings
- Oliver L. North, the incoming president of the National Rifle Association, appeared on television to blame mass shootings on youth culture and the drug Ritalin.
- He added that “taking away the rights of law-abiding citizens” would not stop the carnage.
Once Hated by U.S., Is Sadr Now ‘Face of Reform’ in Iraq?
- Moktada al-Sadr, the upset winner of this month’s tight election, was once demonized by the U.S. as one of the greatest threats to peace and stability in Iraq.
- He has been reinvented as an anticorruption champion whose “Iraq First” message appealed to voters across sectarian divides.